Falling in love with new old games (Team Yankee)
I think this may be a common occurrence for hobbyists that are in the hobby for a long enough time to come back to a game that they thought they would never come back to and then go way too hard way too fast.
For me this was Battlefront's WWW3: Team Yankee. I had enjoyed it years ago with a mate back when my Abrams were getting cut down in droves vs his leopard 2's. Now its been close to a decade since then and I have recently sold my Team Yankee collection. Perusing through local store shelves and making an impulse buy after thoughts of cold war forces and tanks galore.
That impulse buy was a platoon of Abrams that this time ended up being painted in my national colours for the ANZACs which led the spiral of realising that the 15mm scale and the cold war aesthetic (its a weird 80s-90s combo) was something that I just vibe with.
![]() |
| The aforementioned Abrams |
From this unit I have ended up painting an entire ANZAC army in a month. The way that the system and models (Battlefront got good between my last experience to now) has been a joy to build and paint. I have 19 goddamned m113 chassis vehicles and still have added more to my Americans (more on that later).
![]() |
| Planes beware |
![]() |
| Mortars for those pesky infantry |
More tanks were on the table as well, there was no way I was not going to include the leopard 1 in the force. It is an iconic vehicle that I think does not get the recognition it deserves as a combat vehicle in Australian service. Over here we hear about the venerable Centurion and then the Abrams but never the leo 1.
![]() |
| Hunting big cats |
The last big part of this army was the infantry, I tried to get the Battlefront Aussies but they were out of stock everywhere. That is where Eureka miniatures saved the day. Their Aussie range in modern body armour (and with the lovely AUG) were available and I always love supporting local companies. Their range of metal models are gorgeous and I am so in love with them that I am thinking of more Aussie lists just to give me an excuse to buy some more.
![]() |
| Never knew I could love so many little men |
What I think I am trying to say with this whole ramble of a piece is that I am in love with Team Yankee and I am frothing at the mouth to get a game in.
![]() |
| Ready to hit the battlefield |
But I think I am also trying to say that there will always be a game, setting or time period that will be a hobbyists niche. It is where they shine, find the most enjoyment and find like minded individuals to connect with. It might not even be their only one, I myself am deeply entrenched in games workshop products and will never truly get out.
I believe that every wargamer or hobbyist will find their niche and I am glad I found mine. Now onto some soviets (don't judge I got them cheap).
-Connor






Comments
Post a Comment