When inspiration hits

 I for one will never say that I am the most focused hobbyist, although I have been described as otherwise by others. I am very much the finish 75% of a force and move on kinda guy if I can’t get something done quick enough. 


Lately I have been adding projects into an app called Figure Case which has highlighted a few things. One, I have too many miniatures and when the figure is not yet finished and is close to 3000 and only includes projects and models I care about is kinda nuts. Secondly is, I have many piles of partially finished units. More primed and discarded parts to projects but definitely half started things that have ended up hidden. 

Today I chose to try and finish one set of those in an attempt to finish some armies or finally decide to try and sell some parts of my unfinished collections (looking at your Spartans). 

The lucky unit was a raptor squad from my Red Corsairs army. 




These guys already came from a previous attempt to build a Sons of Horus army in the years before. Built with tortuga bay bodies and some 3d printed parts I didn’t want to part with them or leave them in a box to be forgotten about when deciding to shelve the SoH. 

Because of that I decided to go down the route of fluffing their appearance so I didn’t have to shave down or replace 20 shoulder pads. 


‘Hurons Helions is a warband under the umbrella of the Red Corsairs that hail from the 16th legiones astartes or more commonly known the “Sons of Horus”.

They once belonged to a long forgotten reaver company that fought valiantly for their liege lord all the way until Terra where they witnessed the degradation and ultimate death of their father. This hardened the astartes and threw them into a spiral of depression. 

Once the new warmaster was declared the warband decided to go on their own, finding the Black Legion inferior to their original legion. 

Trapped in the warp after several raiding strikes against imperial forces the helions were found by the Red Corsairs and given the offer all receive from Huron Blackheart, join or die. 

The offer was considered and ultimately accepted, with the lord of the helions Qarad Arkimand seeing a little of Horus Lupercal in the master of the maelstrom.’

Sergeant with his fancy top knot


After rereading this fluff and coming back to a long dormant project it was nice to connect with a piece of the hobby that is often lost in maelstrom of painting, playing and being pissed at dice rolls, story telling. It is something that can be done heavily but I think that seeing the eye of Horus on their shoulders and knowing what they are representing in the force is exciting and has awakened a want to not only flesh out the background of armies in my own head but to crest more of that in the models themselves. 

I would love to see what others have come up with to justify conversions and if they worked or just tripped over themselves as much of my creative writing does. 

Connor 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Falling in love with new old games (Team Yankee)

Sales on Soviets